Demonstrating the variety of female condoms to policy and decision-makers can really contribute to their enthusiasm and willingness to work with you on the availability and accessibility of female condoms. They will have a concrete idea of the looks and feel of the different condoms. This will make it easier for them to explain the importance of female condoms to others – which will in turn be helpful for your advocacy.
You will find specific information about the different types of female condoms as well as instructions regarding how to demonstrate them in the different demonstration videos below.
HLL Female Condom (Velvet)
Information that you may not forget while demonstrating female condoms:
- Always check the expiration date.
- Never use your teeth or a scissors when opening a female condom.
- Show the female condom and explain the specific characteristics of that particular condom.
- Show how to insert and remove the female condom.
- Highlight the benefits of using female condoms:
- Dual protection: against both STIs (including HIV/AIDS) and unplanned pregnancies.
- Can be initiated by women.
- Can be inserted before ‘the heat of the moment’.
- Men often prefer female condoms because they have a soft, moist texture that feels more natural during sex.
- A female condom might offer additional sexual pleasure.
- Among women using female condoms, qualitative studies demonstrate an increased sense of empowerment in negotiation for safer sex and a greater sense of control and safety during sex.